Monday, April 4, 2011

Howard Schultz - CEO of Starbucks

Howard Schultz CEO of Starbucks:  Graham Smith

Art Director Dean Sebring of Worth Magazine, showed me a really great looking layout for their Twenty Questions feature, and asked if I would illustrate an ink portrait of Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks, for this months issue. Worth magazine is beautifully designed and chock full of great illustrations. I jumped on the chance to illustrate that page.

These ink portraits are drawn quickly, straight off the pen. I usually draw a few portraits and choose the nicest one. Maybe I should have drawn Howard Schultz using coffee, instead of ink for this one?

Worth Magazine with original ink illustrations in the background.

Contributors blurb by Lynsey Santimays.
Lynsey Santimays, associate editor, called me up to do a quick blurb interview for their contributors section. We were just chatting away, but after 16 questions, I ask how many words the blurb was supposed to be. "150. I like to get as much as a can. You never know." she responded.
 
"I draw a bunch and choose the nicest one." Graham Smith
I illustrate these with a quill pen, the kind you dip in ink. The thing is, the portraits come out a little differently each time. If I spill ink, drip on the page, or the final result doesn't look this the subject,  I have to start over. There is no erasing in ink drawing! I love the challenge drawing with this unforgiving medium.

Art Direction:Dean Sebring.  Portrait: Graham Smith

See More >> Worth #2: Aby Rosen

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails